A placeholder for mischief, rants, and other bits.

Monday, April 27, 2009

When is it going to end?


No, I don't mean the world. And anyways, as of this week at least, swine flu is going to supply that answer.  No, I mean a bigger and more worrying problem: reality television. (Actually, all television is "reality" based now so I don't even know if this pre-fix is necessary. Afterall, we don't go around saying "color television.") 

I get why it kicked off. There was an Equity strike and without stars America was forced to create stars or face extinction. Genuinely talented and classically trained actors were allowed to stick around but only because the fashion houses depended on them to wear/advertise their clothes. You see becoming a huge reality star and the wearing of clothes have an inverse relationship for some reason (Survivor's jungle rags jump-started this I imagine.) In short, reality TV created a lot of near naked people. The near naked state reduces a person's needs to one: alcohol. Once that is filled, shows and venereal disease really write themselves.

Now I have lived through my twenties, so I know for a fact how amusing it is to watch people that in demographic terms would be called, "Skanks", perform even the most rudimentary tasks. But then after 10 years it got old and profoundly sad. Televise skanks and the window for amusement dwindles to a year or 2 max and that extends to skanks on buses (innovative though it may be.)

Its over. Please. Time to bring back severely scripted show. How about "Little House on the Prairie", with a special episode on prohibition. Now that is hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment