But you can get freaked out by them when all you do is see grey hair, all day, all during the day. I currently adhere to a flexible day schedule. Most notably, this means my presence is not required behind a cubicle element all day, and for that I feel lucky.
In my former life, my only day exposure came between noon and noon fifteen at Quizno's. From the outside, day life held promise. It was full of yummy mummies, yummy lattes in actual mugs, and the promise of enlightenment that only Oprah at 4pm EST can bring.
What you don't see until you really escape the desk chains is that the day is filled with old people. Now I once read that old people would take over the world in something like 2020, so stats stemming from population analysis should have clued me in. But numbers never did mean much to me. Numbers don't take 10 minutes to write actual checks at the store, but old people do.
Maybe we stay at jobs because deep down we need the cubicle-that barrier that separates media hipsters from hip replacement recipients. Maybe I just need to watch less Oprah and calm down.
I work behind a cubicle and I see old people ALL the time! In fact, the one that runs the company HAD a hip replacement.
ReplyDeleteNonetheless, your statement is true. The minority? No. The Old will soon take over the world. (or Wendy's. It's only a matter of time.)