
I thought the point of facebook was to keep up with people easily and more frequently. Whether the quality of the connection is up to snuff is of course an individual call. Myself, I pine for the days when people were mysterious, before reality-tv made us believe that special people go to "Confessional" every day (and especially when they are drunk.) But these are the time we live in. How pleased our founding fathers would be to know that speech is truly free and that social networks have been put into place to serve the 3 most fundamental human needs:
1. Brag: "Polly is running a 400 mile marathon. I can't believe how amazing I feel y'all!"
2. Tease: "Jenny is thinking about it...." See these more and more. I guess its the equivalent of a popularity contest. The more responses you get, the more likely you can rest easy that you will indeed take the crown at Prom this season. We really never move on do we?
3. Diva-tize yourself: "Dave has fallen dead from shock." Sorry, should I actually call for medical attention or did you just fall into the facebook-profile-as-soap-opera-syndrome? Seriously, people gain a facebook profile and suddenly everything is amped up 100 notches. They are not just eating pizza, they are eating the best effing pizza in Chicago. They are not just flying United, they are "delayed on the run-way for 8 hours!!"
Perhaps facebook should come with a user's manual. Without proper etiquette any innocent facebooker could be accused of being at best narcissistic (pictures of your trip to Paris are appropriate. Pictures of you that are only posted because you look hot sitting on your couch, mmm, send those to Bravo casting) and at worst someone you no longer want to be friends with. But that is okay because you have 418 others.
No comments:
Post a Comment